5 tips for military relocation in Northern Virginia
Top places in DMV areaFebruary 15, 2021
Relocation is one of the most important events in life. It represents a beginning of a new and exciting chapter in our lives. However, moving can be quite stressful, especially if you are moving to another city or state. This scenario is quite common if you are a member of the United States Armed Forces, where you change your location depending on your assignment. The two most common forms of military relocation are Temporary duty travel (TDY) or permanent change of station (PCS). Whatever is the reason behind the urge to move, one thing is certain: Northern Virginia movers are your trusted allies in these turbulent times. Your goal is to move swiftly and as efficiently as possible, and we are here to help you with that. Take a look at our 5 tips for military relocation in Northern Virginia, and learn how to move like a pro.
1. Conduct your military relocation in Northern Virginia the easy way – call pro movers
The easiest way to make sure that your relocation goes according to the plan is to hire professional military movers. There are many benefits to doing so, but let’s name a few:
- You will save a lot of time. Professional movers are well-trained professionals that know how to approach and handle every type of relocation.
- The safety of your belongings. Moving crews have the best available tools at their disposal. They also know the best packing strategies. This means that your belongings will be in safe hands.
- Peace of mind. When you know that everything will be taken care of, you can concentrate on other important relocation-activities. For example, you can spend that time preparing your children for the impending change.
2. Start the preparations on time
The only way to organize the move properly is to start early with the preparations. The first thing that you should do is to make some sort of a moving plan. It will help you keep track of what is done, and what still awaits you. This will help you to lower the chances of forgetting something. Another important advantage of an early start is that you will have enough time to correct any mistakes that might arise. So, how a good moving should look like?
- Try to determine your moving budget including the cost of additional moving services like storage services, or packing services.
- Include other expenses like travel arrangements, and hotel bookings.
- Make an inventory of you’re the stuff you are taking with you
- Envisage a packing plan and create an efficient labeling system
- Prepare personal documents including medical records
- Search for a moving agency
- Inform your friends and associates that you are moving
- Cancel the utility services
3. Declutter your home before military relocation in Northern Virginia
Since you are moving soon, now is the perfect time to get rid of everything that is surplus to requirements in your home. This is something that you should do regardless of how much time you have on disposal. The whole moving experience will be a lot easier if you take this step. Listed below are the three simple ways to declutter your home in an efficient yet simple manner:
- Browse. Go around your home and write down all the items that are just sitting there and attracting dust.
- Sell. This takes time, so you can try to sell these items only if you don’t have to move in a hurry. You can organize a garage sale or try one of the eCommerce platforms. You would be surprised to know what kind of stuff are people prepared to buy.
- Donate. There is a lot of people in need, so donating is always a great option.
- Throw out. Your last resort. Also, the simplest solution.
4. Get moving supplies for your military relocation in Northern Virginia
If you have decided to pack for the move on your own, you will first have to get some moving supplies. These are simple tools that make moving more organized and easier to execute. They will also play an important role in protecting your stuff during transport. So, what to get?
- Cardboard boxes. There are many kinds, so determine how much you need, and in what sizes.
- Bubble wrap, or styrofoam peanuts. Use these packing materials to fill out any leftover voids in the boxes. You can also use old clothes.
- Marker pens. Use them to label your boxes, especially those which contain fragile items.
- Sticker labels. Use them to additionally sort out your boxes.
- Simple tools such as pliers, screwdrivers, or scissors. Does something need to be disassembled? Be prepared.
5. Try to learn more about the place you are going to
The relocation process is far from over when you arrive at your new home. There is a lot more work to be done. First, you will have to unpack and make your new place feel like home. But the main struggle could be to adapt to your new surroundings. This is especially true if you move to another country. Know that adapting to a new city is a lengthy process that could last for several months. One of the best ways to settle in your new surroundings is to learn more about your new country. Use your free time to learn more about local culture, customs, or even the local language.
All things considered, a military relocation in Northern Virginia is a task that requires precise planning, good organization, and a lot of hard work. But these are the values that you are familiar with, so we believe that you will have no problems. However, if you have a short deadline, you can always count on the assistance of professional movers. Good luck!