DIY toy storage ideas
Storage preparationMarch 10, 2021
People that live in big cities are often having problems with a lack of space, as space is a valuable commodity in bustling urban areas. Fortunately, there is a solution for every problem, and this time it comes in the form of storage Washington DC. With that being said, renting a storage unit can save your day whether you are moving, undertaking renovations, or just lacking additional storing space. Storage units are a good place for depositing various home items, ranging from furniture to books and children’s toys. However, there are few storing rules that you should know if you wish to take full advantage of a storage unit. So, take a look at our toy storage ideas to figure out how to safely store your kid’s dolls and bricks, and get that much-needed space in your home.
Sort out the toys before storing them
Even though storage units Sterling VA, are meant for setting aside the stuff you are not using anymore, that doesn’t mean that you should hoard any old junk. So, with that in mind, you should go through all the toys you have and decide what’s worth keeping and what’s not. This way, you will have more storage space, and your storage unit will be better organized. Here are the three simple methods of doing it:
- Try selling some of the toys. Used toys can still have some value, so you could try selling them online, or you can organize a yard sale. This can turn out to be a nice event.
- Donating is always nice. Are the toys still usable? There are many children in need, and you can always contact the Salvation Army or Goodwill to donate your old toys.
- Garbage. Your last option. If the toys are broken and not usable, throw them into the trash.
Get some packing tools
If you want to pack your children’s toys for storage, you will first have to get some packing supplies. If you don’t have enough time for that, you can always get packing services, and let the professionals do the job for you. So, what are packing supplies, and where to get them? Packing supplies are basic tools that people use when moving, and listed below are some of these tools that could be useful for packing toys for storage:
- Cardboard boxes
- Plastic bins
- Packing paper
- Basic tools like screwdrivers
- Packing tape
- Sticker labels
You probably already have most of these items at your home. If you don’t you can always get them at your nearest hardware store, or order them online.
Convenient and easy toy storage ideas
Okay, now that you have sorted out the toys and got packing tools, let’s see where you can deposit those toys.
- Use a small room. If you live in a home, you probably have a basement or attic. This could be an ideal place to store toys, as it is easily accessible. Another option is some of the rooms in your house that you are not using that often.
- Install shelving. If your kids are still using these toys, you can invest in new shelving that can accommodate the toys. Explain to your kids how to keep their toys nicely arranged and organized.
- Wardrobe. There are many different and convenient types of furniture designed for storing children’s toys. Various cupboards like corner storages, small wardrobes, cabinets with bins, wheelie carts, are a great solution for storing toys like bricks or books. For plush toys, you can use soft bins or wicker baskets.
A storage unit is a great solution if you don’t have enough space in your home
Most people living in big cities don’t have enough space to dedicate an entire room for children’s toys. This is why storage solutions are so popular nowadays. But before you rent a storage unit, there a few rules that you must be familiar with:
- Safety ratings. Check if the storage company meets all the necessary safety standards like quality locks, video surveillance systems, and night guards. You don’t want your toys and other belongings to disappear, do you?
- See if the storage unit is easily accessible by car or van and if their working hours meet your needs. Also, the storage unit should be near the place you live, so you can use its full potential.
- Climate-control. All reliable storage companies have climate-controlled storage units at their disposal. These units offer great protection from harsh outside factors such as extreme cold or heat. Even more importantly, their design will protect your kid’s toys from mold and mildew.
Toy storage ideas: Packing the toys for storage
- Use cardboard boxes. Packing toys for storage is something is a task that requires a bit of your time. Especially if you own fragile toys like rare collectibles. These might include action figures, model trains, or airplanes. The best way to pack toys like these is to use their original boxes. If you don’t have the original packaging you will have to use the cardboard boxes or plastic bins that we have mentioned above. Apply the packing paper or old clothes and place the toys in the box. Fill out any leftover gaps. Seal the box with tape and make sure the bottom of the box is also tightly sealed. Label the boxes as fragile.
- Use plastic bins. Legos are one of the most popular and famous children’s toys. The only problem is that sets contain hundreds of small parts that can disappear if you are not careful enough. Storing and sorting Legos can prove to be a difficult task. So, the best way to prevent this is to use plastic bins with lids. There are many products specially designed for storing Lego bricks.
We hope that our toy storage ideas will prove useful to you and that you will succeed in both keeping your child happy and having enough space in your home. Our last piece of advice: Always consult your kids before meddling with their toys. Put some boundaries but also respect their wishes.