Essential packing tips to simplify your moving day
Moving day tipsMay 10, 2021
Most people are not very fond of moving. It is generally considered that moving is something tedious, difficult, and tiring. To be honest, it is not easy to move an entire household from one place to the other, especially if you are moving to another city or state. Fortunately, there are several ways to make the relocation less stressful. One way to do it is to get packing services Northern VA, and let the professionals do the job for you. The other way is on your own, but you have to be well prepared. That’s not a problem though, because we will show you the essential packing tips you need to know. So, stick around and learn how to prepare for the move like a pro.
First tip – call professionals
People are often in a state of complete chaos in days before the move. This is hardly surprising given the sheer number of tasks they have to complete. If this is the case, the best thing you could do is to call your residential movers. Hiring moving partners has many benefits:
- Saving time. The relocation process is not only about packing. It also involves other important tasks like dealing with real estate agents or preparing your kids for the move. When you have someone to help you with packing you can concentrate on other things.
- Protecting your possessions. When you hire professional packers, you can rest assured that your belongings will not get damaged during transport.
- Avoid injuries. Everyone can pack their clothes and books. But what about heavy furniture or kitchen appliances? Don’t risk back injuries and leave that to someone with more experience.
What tools do you need for packing?
Whether you are packing for relocation, or you are planning to rent pod storage Northern VA, you will need some tools. These are also called packing supplies, and you can find them in virtually any hardware store. When you have the right tools, you will be able to make the moving process a lot more organized. So, what to get?
- Cardboard boxes
- Packing paper
- Bubble wrap
- Packing tape
- Marker pens
- Label stickers in various colors
- Screwdrivers, pliers, and other common household tools
Declutter your home before doing anything else
One of the best ways to simplify the packing process is to get rid of everything you don’t need. Not only you will make packing faster and more efficient, but you will also lower the cost of relocation. You see, the price for every move is mostly based on two main factors, the traveling distance, and the weight of the shipment. So, the less stuff you decide to transport, the less you will pay for the move. Here are the three simple ways to declutter your home before moving:
- Sell. You can try selling some of your old stuff online, or you can organize a yard sale if you live in a house.
- Donate. Remember that there is a lot of people in need that would find your old stuff useful.
- Throw away. Don’t hesitate and toss into the trash everything that is broken and not usable anymore.
- Rent a storage unit. Residential onsite storage containers are a good short-term solution.
Essential packing tips – make a proper packing plan
The best way to approach the packing process is with a clear plan. When you have a plan, you will eliminate the chances of leaving something behind. Additionally, the unpacking process will also be a piece of cake.
- Make a packing inventory. Okay, so you have sorted out your belongings. Now, it’s time to make a packing inventory. Simply put, write down every single item you are taking with you. That way, you will be able to keep track of the packing process. This list can also serve you to check if all the boxes have been loaded/unloaded from the truck.
- Pack your belongings in order. Our advice is that you pack your boxes based on how often you use your belongings. In other words, you should first pack all the stuff you are not using that often such as seasonal clothes, or books you are not reading at the moment.
- Create a labeling system. It is of utmost importance that you know what’s inside of the boxes. The best way to label the boxes is by category or by rooms. You can use packing tape in various colors, letters, or numbers.
Other essential packing tips
So far, we saw some of the oldest tricks from the book that make preparing for the move simple. But there is a lot more that you can do, and here is how:
- Use your food before moving. Make your meals by using leftovers. Food can easily spill or go bad, so it’s generally not a good idea to transport food. Throw away everything you don’t use.
- Use vacuum or garbage bags to pack clothes. Don’t waste your time on folding, simply leave the shirts on hangers and put them in the bag.
- Leave clothes in the drawers. Clothes such as socks or underwear are lightweight so they can stay in the drawers. This will save you a lot of time
- Use your traveling suitcases. Suitcases have a sturdy frame and wheels, which makes them ideal for packing books or toys. Be careful though, books can be quite heavy.
- Pack an essentials bag. Don’t forget that you might spend a day or two on the road if you are moving long-distance. For that reason, you should pack a bag with everything you need to survive those couple of days.
Ok, so these were the essential packing tips to simplify your moving day. Follow our advice, and your moving experience will be a pleasant one. We wish you a safe relocation.