How to spot and avoid moving scams?
Hiring moversApril 15, 2020
Moving locally or long distance with professional assistance can be stressful, especially with so moving scams happening around. If you want to make sure to relocate without any additional troubles, you should make sure to keep reading. Here are some ideas, tips, and tricks that will help you stay safe during a move and avoid potential moving scams.
What are the common signs of moving scams?
When it comes to moving to a new home, there are so many things to plan and organize. However, most relocations get too complicated to handle without professional moving assistance. If you are looking for moving experts, you should know how to find reliable Northern Virginia movers for your needs.
The process of hiring movers can be very simple, but it can also be a complicated process. The difference between these two situations is the lack of experience in the moving process. The more you know about how moving companies work, the more likely it will be to avoid moving scams. For example, if you know which signs reflect shady movers, you will know how to stay off them. Here are some of the most common signs of a moving scam:
- Lack of information before the move. If you have a feeling that your movers are not letting you know all the details of the move, consider hiring another company.
- Shady services and too-low prices. If you get offered a full-moving service that is cheaper than any you’ve seen before, it could be a scam. It could also be a promo price, but be careful before signing the contract and reading all the conditions.
- Confusing contracts. You should understand every fact in the moving contract before signing it.
- Inventory delays. If your moving boxes are more than a few hours late to arrive, you should consider investigating the situation.
- Communication problems with the moving crew. Your movers should be available to you at all times once the planning of the move begins.
There are many other signs of moving scams that you could potentially see. However, let’s focus on how to avoid moving scams and recognize a reputable company in the first place.
Find a moving company you can trust
Transportation of your belongings is more than just packing and loading of the moving boxes. When moving a home, all of your valuable memorabilia needs to be preserved until it gets to a new location. Also, when moving a business, there is a lot of money at stake. Having an unreliable moving company handle your belongings can cause you to lose more money because of the damage to your inventory.
This is the reason why you should find a moving company with experience, which also has positive online reviews. The satisfaction of previous clients will let you know if the moving company has been a part of the moving scam before. Make sure to read the reviews with 4 stars, not only the best ones. Reviews who offer an objective opinion and describes the exact situation during the move will be the most relevant.
Be careful with moving quotes
Paying for moving services Northern VA is one of the trickiest parts of the move. Some companies offer a low moving quote that sounds too good to be true, just to add some hidden costs later on. In order to avoid this situation, you should make sure to ask for a few moving quotes in the beginning. Also, make sure to let the movers know what you need to move as soon as possible. Some unreliable movers use additional requests as a way of overcharging for the moving service. Of course, some services cost more, but you shouldn’t let a moving company scam you by changing the information about the payment during the moving process. When asking for a moving quote, ask the movers how higher can the overall price get. If they let you know this information, they will not be able to double or even triple your overall costs in the end.
What to do if you get in the middle of a moving scam?
Even with the experience and thorough research, some people still become a part of a moving scam. If you got in the middle of one, here’s what you need to do.
- Try to resolve disputes with movers.
- If the previous option is not possible, consider writing a moving complaint.
- In case your inventory is held hostage, you can call authorities to inspect the situation.
- Stay calm and don’t spend all of your money to get out of moving scams.
- Make sure to get as much information about the moving company as you can.
- Read the moving contract and see if you can use facts against fraudulent movers.
Put some money aside and be prepared
Avoiding moving scams is all about preparing for the move on time. If you need to relocate in a rush, this might cause you to forget important preparation steps.
First of all, saving some money and putting it aside in case an additional cost occurs is a good idea. Imagine getting all of your belongings ready and the moving company doesn’t show up on a moving day. These moving scams happen very often. It’s always better to be ready for unexpected situations and avoid moving scams on time. The best thing you can do is to start preparing for the move early on. This way you will have plenty of time to find moving assistance you can trust.