How to store a mattress inside a portable storage unit
Moving day tipsApril 15, 2021
There are many reasons why you would want to rent a portable storage unit. The most common reason is probably moving. You call a moving company to provide you with onsite storage containers, you pack your belongings, and the moving company transports your stuff to your new address. The best part is that moving containers are a more affordable solution compared to standard full-service moves. So, if you wish to save some money during the move, renting a portable storage unit is your best bet. You can save even more if you decide to pack on your own. This means that you will not have to pay for packing services, which is an additional expense. But packing is not that easy, especially when it comes to bulky and heavy items like home appliances. But don’t worry, we will show you how to store a mattress inside a portable storage unit.
Why renting a portable storage unit could save your day?
Like we already pointed out, portable storage is an easy and affordable way to organize the relocation process. But there are other scenarios where renting portable storage could be the best solution for your problems. Imagine for example, that you are renovating your home. Here’s why Zippy Shell Northern Virginia portable containers could save your day:
- Your belongings will be protected. Home renovations often include dirty works and a lot of dust. Sure, you can cover your furniture, but portable storage offers far better protection.
- It will be easier to complete the works. The whole renovation press will take less time if you don’t have to move your furniture from one room to another all the time.
- The container is at ground level. Moving your furniture involves a lot of heavy lifting. But if you use a portable storage unit, you will just need to take your furniture outside. It’s that simple. This also means that will not have to use loading ramps or other complicated equipment.
If you wish to store a mattress inside a portable storage unit you will have to get some packing supplies first
Packing supplies are essential for every move. They help in keeping everything more organized and also protect your belongings from damage. So, what to get? Well, listed below are the supplies you need to pack an average household including a mattress:
- Cardboard boxes
- Mattress bags
- Screwdriver or power drill
- Plastic zip-top bags
- Packing tape
- Packing paper
- Moving blankets
- Ropes or ratchet straps
- Marker pens
You can get most of these items at your local hardware store, or you can order them online. Important tip: If you are a military member, and you don’t have enough time to pack on your own, you can always call military movers to help you with the relocation process. These reliable and experienced movers will take of your move from beginning to end, so you could concentrate on other important duties.
Things to do before you store a mattress inside a portable storage unit
Whether you are moving or conducting home renovations, you need to prepare your mattress for storage. These steps are very important, and you should not skip them:
- Disassemble your bed. Moving the mattress alone could prove to be a challenge, let alone moving the entire bed in one piece. So, the first thing you should do is to remove the wooden frame of the bed. Before you do that consult the user manual so you don’t break anything. Also, take photos as you progress for easier re-assembling.
- Clean your mattress. Now is the perfect time to clean your mattress if you haven’t done it in quite some time. Vacuum the mattress, and double-check if it’s 100% dry. If you place a wet mattress in plastic it could lead to mildew problems. Experts say that the best practice is to let your mattress sit in direct sunlight for one day.
The packing process and transporting step by step
- Pack bed frame, drawers, sheets, pillows, and coverings Use cardboard boxes and plastic wraps for these items. Don’t forget to write the contents of the box with a marker pen.
- When your mattress is completely clean and dry you should put it in the plastic mattress bag. You can also use bubble wrap and packing tape. Make sure the bag is zipped and that the plastic covering has no open ends. This will protect the mattress from moisture and dust.
- Pack the wrapped mattress inside of cardboard coverings and tape them tightly together. This is step is optional, and it depends on your needs.
- Transport the mattress to the storage unit. Don’t forget that mattresses can be quite heavy. This is why we advise you to call your friends to help you with moving.
- Take extra care when navigating the mattress through narrow corridors, stairs, and sharp corners.
- Use ropes and straps for easier maneuvering.
- Clear your path before, and leave all doors open.
The last step is to store a mattress inside a portable storage unit the right way
Okay, so far so good. There is only one thing left, and that is to position the mattress inside of a portable container. Here are some tips to do it the right way:
- The mattress is one of the first things to be loaded into the container. You want to place it upright to save space.
- Make sure that it is tightly secured so it doesn’t move during transport. Mattresses are heavy and could crush your other belongings.
- If you plan to store the mattress for a longer period, know that keeping it on its side can cause permanent damage. In that case, you want to store it flat.
Okay, now you know how to store a mattress inside a portable storage unit. Follow our advice step by step and you can rest assured that everything will be fine. Good luck!