Moving from Frederick to Tysons Corner: packing & storing your items
Storage preparationJuly 26, 2021
You may have decided to make a move or to downsize your home. Or you may have been caught in transition between two cities. Either way, when moving from Frederick to Tysons Corner, you may be on the lookout for temporary storage for some of your things. Renting a self-storage unit can be a good way to solve your immediate problems or difficulties. Cost-effective and easily accessible storage facilities should be available no matter which city you are moving to. But you can’t just toss your items randomly inside a storage unit and expect things to be just fine.
When moving from Frederick to Tysons Corner create an inventory list
Depending on your needs, by now you should have decided what items to pack for long-term or short-term storage.
- Create a detailed list of all the belongings you plan to store. As it’s easy to forget what you have in your storage space in the middle of a stressful move.
- Make a few copies of the master contents list and keep them in various safe places. Keep an electronic copy of the inventory list online for quick reference.
- Use the detailed inventory list in case your properties got damaged by a natural disaster. If that ever happened, the contents list would help you file an insurance claim.
Furthermore, make sure you find all about Zippy Shell Moving and Storage DMV services that may assist you professionally.
Select which items you will put into storage
The idea of storing household items for a certain amount of time implies that you don’t need those things right now. But you do want to have them by your side in the future. And, of course, you don’t have the space to keep them in your home. Pack for storage only the things you plan to use again. The more items you prepare to store away, the more money you’ll need to pay due to the bigger storage unit. Therefore, examine your items before you start packing them for storage. You shouldn’t keep an item if it’s not valuable, or sentimental. Moreover, make sure to find a safe storage Tysons Corner that will take care of your belongings like no one before.
Before Moving from Frederick to Tysons Corner get proper storage containers
Firstly, to pack for storing, you’re going to need types of packing boxes to keep your things protected for the duration of the storage period. In most cases, clear plastic bins are the best storage containers you can get. Consider purchasing brand-new cardboard boxes that are strong enough to keep your things safer for longer. Examine all cardboard containers for any signs of damage, especially if you plan to use second-hand boxes.
All storage boxes must be completely dry and sturdy, with zero signs of contagion. Moreover, use plastic bins to store your things. They are more expensive than standard cardboard boxes. But they can last for many years and provide much better protection for your belongings. Do not pack your items in plastic bags. Plastic tends to trap moisture and humidity and can cause mold and mildew to grow with time.
Properly prepare your items for storing
Before you can start the actual packing process, you will need to prepare your items for storing in the best possible way. After that, you should call storage units Frederick MD to help you out. Therefore, clean all items you plan to put in a storage unit to bypass the potential musty smell. Wipe all surfaces with a cleaning spray or disinfectant wipes. Especially the furniture pieces. Make sure each item is 100% dry before you pack it up. Treat all furniture upholstery and other leather items with a leather conditioner before you pack and store them away. Disassemble large furniture such as beds, and tables so that you can pack and protect their parts.
Some packing tips that may be helpful
- Wrap cloth furniture and mattresses in cotton sheets to protect them during moving and storing.
- When packing odd-shaped items, fill the box up to the brim and fill in the gaps with packing material like newspaper or bubble wrap.
- Follow this general rule: large boxes for lightweight items, small boxes for heavy items.
- Don’t save on boxes, especially for heavy items. Old boxes may break if used for heavy items. But use the new boxes for the more fragile items and heavier items.
- Individually wrap every plate, dish, and cup. Stack them in the box with like-sized items to avoid cracking during the move.
- Wash and dry everything before packing, including clothing, sheets, blankets, curtains, and even furniture.
- When taking apart furniture, grab some plastic baggies to store the nuts and bolts. Then secure them to the piece of furniture with tape or rope.
- Wipe down the surfaces of every piece of furniture. Wood polish for wood items, conditioner for leather, and rust preventative for metal items.
Furthermore, in case you need commercial storage, make sure to get in touch with commercial storage in Northern Virginia to help you out.
Helpful storing tips
- If you are storing long-term you will want to get a temperature-controlled unit. That allows the unit to stay within a safe temperature range. And not exposing your stuff to extreme temperatures.
- You’ll want to get a unit that is a bit bigger than your items, as you’ll want some room to let air move around.
- Put the least used items in the back of the unit and the most used in the front. Also, put the most expensive items in the back like televisions or other technology.
- Organize your unit by the label on the box and consider making a “legend” to leave in the unit. This map will help you find items easier in the future.
If you are not sure how to prepare your items for storage explore more about it. Then make your packing, and storing problems as simple as possible. It might seem counter-intuitive, but moving fast means taking your time. When Moving from Frederick to Tysons Corner, don’t rush throwing things. This mistake could be timely if things get damaged or something is forgotten. You’ll also feel a lot more stress if you’re rushing around. Be persistent but don’t rush.