The upsides of using portable storage in DC area
Storage preparationFebruary 26, 2021
There is a fair chance that you will need a storage unit at some point in your life. That could be due to moving, renovating your apartment, or because you have accumulated stuff over the years and you need more space. There are many different types of storage units Washington DC, so you should be familiar with the differences if you want the make the best possible choice. In this article, we will discuss the upsides of using portable storage solutions, as well as some basic storage tips and tricks that you should know. Stay tuned for more.
What is exactly a portable storage unit?
Portable storage units are steel-framed and weather-proof boxes that come in many different sizes. They have a sturdy build, and they can be left outdoors during the moving process. You will also get a safe lock and a key. Speaking of sizes, a typical portable storage unit that most companies offer can roughly fit a room and a half of furniture. Note that depending on the available size of storage units, and the size of your apartment, you might have to rent more than one container.
The moving process is rather simple. Your portable storage unit will be delivered in front of your home a few days before the move. You will then have several days to pack your belongings. Or more depending on your own schedule. When you are done with packing, the moving company will pick the storage unit and drive it to its destination. In other words, using a portable storage unit is sort of a DIY move.
You can use them when renovating your home
Imagine for example that you are planning to renovate your home. This can be a long and tiresome endeavor, especially if you are undertaking complex structural renovations like tearing down walls, roofs, or changing pipes and electrical installations. Well, storage units Falls Church VA could save your day in that case. Here’s how:
- Your belongings will be safe. Home renovation often includes a lot of dust and debris. You can simply move your furniture there and protect it from getting damaged. Get some packing supplies, wrap your furniture, and transfer it to the storage unit. It’s as simple as that!
- You will save a lot of time. Since portable storage will be delivered in front of your home, you won’t have to commute to the other side of the city just to store your belongings.
- You will finish the renovations faster. It’s much easier to do the renovations in an empty home. This is true for even the simplest tasks like painting the walls.
Financial upsides of using a portable storage
We all know that moving can be quite expensive. The average price of a regular household move starts at around $1,400. On the other hand, long-distance moves can easily reach $5,000. When you add to that traveling costs and other moving-related expenses you will realize that moving requires some serious financial planning. But there are many ways to save money when moving. One of them is to some of the tasks on your own. For example, you can pack your belongings on your own. Another option is to use portable storage solutions. They are great for relocation because they present a more cost-efficient alternative to full-scale moving services. In other words, you will not have to pay for packing services, truck rental services, or any other additional moving fees. Portable storage is a great way to budget your move.
Portable storage units are very convenient
Let’s say that you are moving soon. You are probably aware that a lot of hard work awaits you. So, your goal is to find shortcuts wherever possible. Let’s see how using a portable storage unit can effectively cut your work in half:
- The container will be at ground level. Moving is a demanding physical activity that involves a lot of heavy lifting. But if you use a portable storage unit, you will essentially have to take your furniture in front of the house. Furthermore, you will not have to use loading ramps or any other expensive and dangerous equipment.
- You will be the master of your time. No need to rush everything, your portable storage will wait in front of your home until you finish packing. Don’t worry about schedules and late charges.
- No commute. When you finish the packing process, your moving company will deliver your belongings in front of your new home. You just have to unpack and start enjoying your new place.
What to know before renting a storage unit?
Renting a storage unit is no rocket science. However, it’s important to hire a reliable moving and storage partner. One way to do that is to ask for a recommendation. Do you know someone who recently used storage services? See if they could recommend you a storage partner. Even if they had bad experiences you will know that option is out of the question. Your other option is to search the internet for reliable storage companies. Here are some factors that you should pay attention to:
- Safety ratings. If you don’t want your belongings to mysteriously disappear overnight, you should pick a storage partner that meets all safety important standards. These include quality locks or video surveillance systems.
- Climate control. This neat feature will protect your belongings from harsh outdoor factors like extreme heat or cold.
As you can see, there are many upsides to using portable storage. The important thing to remember is that you should pick a reliable storage company. Also, be wise when choosing the size of the storage unit. We wish you a safe relocation!